If you have had the heart-wrenching misfortune of accidentally dropping your iPhone in water, then there is a chance that your phone may have suffered from water damage. Moreover, one of the worst possible outcomes here is face id not working after dropping the phone. Hence, this brings us to the question – does face id work after water damage in iPhones?
Does Face Id Work after Water Damage?
The answer can be either – Yes or No. Apple Face ID failure may occur if there is an electricity leakage or short-circuit issue after water damage or exposure to a humid environment.
The circuit or Face ID software can become compromised due to moisture buildup after water damage. Put your iPhone in a bag of uncooked rice overnight to dry it out, or take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for repair to reactivate Face ID. However, before attempting to make expensive repairs, this article will explain why your Face ID is disabled and how to fix it so that it works once more.
What Happens After Water Damage?
Apple refers to the technology in the iPhone’s front camera as TrueDepth, which enables the device’s Face ID and Memoji functions. After water damage, it might show face id not available because water damage affects the functions of TrueDepth the most. Often the phone keeps being rebooted and the camera stops working due to damage in the Dot projector as well.
Can I Fix my Face ID After Water Damage?
If you drop your iPhone in water, you can try these quick solutions to try and fix it. In order to check if the Face ID damage is severe or not, you should take your phone to an expert or your nearby Apple center. But before you do, these 5 quick troubleshooting steps may just do the trick:
Use Rice Grains Or Silica Gel To Absorb Moisture:
- First, switch off your phone.
- Put your phone in a ziplock bag.
- Put rice grain or silica gel into the ziplock bag.
- You should leave your phone there overnight.
- Rice and Silica will absorb moisture from what is present inside your phone.
- After its done, turn on your phone and see if it is working.
Dry Out Your iPhone In The Sun
- Switch off the phone using the power button.
- Find a place with the most sunlight.
- Put your phone there for a few hours.
- After some time, pick your phone and turn it on.
- Check if the Face ID is working.
Wipe Your iPhone With A Microfiber Cloth
- Grab your phone and turn it off.
- Remove the sim card.
- Take a microfiber cloth and gently rub the Face ID area.
- Dry out every area that seems wet.
- Turn the phone on and check if the Face ID works or not.
Dry Out Your iPhone Using A Blowdryer
- Make sure to turn off your phone.
- Take your hairdryer and turn it on.
- Turn on the cold air. Do not use hot air.
- Make sure to maintain a 12 to 13 inch distance between the phone and the hairdryer to avoid damage.
- For an even drying, move your hairdryer around.
- Switch off your hairdryer and open your phone.
- See if your phone Face ID works or not.
Factory Reset Your iPhone
- Go to the phone setting menu.
- Tap on the general option.
- Click on the Transfer or Reset iPhone option and select Erase all Content and Settings.
- Once the device has been reset, set it up and check to see if the Face ID is now functional.
Can My iPhone Face ID Be Repaired?
Different people give different opinions regarding Face ID repairing. Apple suggests approaching for further help or replacement of equipment if that is needed. However, many experts suggest otherwise. According to MacRumors, Apple and authorized repair centers can now repair Face ID on the iPhone without requiring a complete replacement. Otherwise, your beloved phone should be fine. Face IDs of models like the iPhone 11 & 12 now can be repaired by experts.
How Do I Know If My Phone Is Damaged From Water?
In order to know if your phone is damaged by water or not, you need to check the Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) in your phone. The process is:
- Find the sim card tray.
- Now use a sim ejector pin or any pin to remove the sim tray.
- Now take a flashlight and turn it on.
- Then look into the sim tray area and see if you can find the red, silver and white colors.
- If you can find white and silver colors, then your phone is not damaged.
- If you can find the red, then your phone is severely damaged.
How Long Does It Take For An iPhone To Dry Out?
Leave your iPhone in a dry, well-ventilated area for up to a day. During this time, you can try charging or connecting a Lightning accessory again. It may take one day to completely dry out. However, there are some precautions that need to be maintained.
- Do not use overheated tools or compressed air to dry it.
- Do not use any external components like a cotton swab or a paper towel in the Lightning connector.
- Do not follow any unverified Reddit or Tiktok hack.
Is It Expensive To Fix A Water Damaged iPhone?
For expert water damage restoration, a budget between $45 and $599 is required.
The expense depends on the severity of the damage; If your phone only has to be dried, the cost will be significantly less. However, if the internal components need to be replaced and installed, you will be responsible for those costs.
Does Apple Fix Water Damage For Free?
The warranty does not cover damage to an iPhone or iPod caused by liquids. Unfortunately, the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty does not provide coverage for services related to water damage.
Lastly, don’t freak out if Face ID becomes deactivated after water damage. We understand that it’s a tough situation, but the remedies listed above should be able to address the problem.
However, if the damage is significant and Face ID is still not functioning after completing these procedures, you might need to have Apple examine your iPhone. If any more repairs are required, they will be able to assess that as well.
On the flip side, if you want to know if Face ID works with eyes closed or while you are wearing a mask, then follow the link!