The short answer is – Yes. Apple Face ID works with eyes closed only when you turn off the “Require Attention for Face ID” function. So, if you disable this option, you can unlock your Apple device with your eyes closed.
Apple’s revolutionary Face ID technology was introduced back in 2017 with the launch of the iPhone X. To ensure maximum privacy and security, this technology works with several hardware factors, including neural networks, TrueDepth camera systems, and Apple’s Bionic chips. Although Face ID is designed to adapt to changes in your appearance, such as growing facial hair or wearing makeup, you may wonder if it can recognize you with your eyes closed as well.
In this article, we will explain how to make Face ID work with your eyes closed. You will also find some answers to relevant questions you may have about Face ID in this article. But first, let’s get to know the recognition capability of Apple Face ID a little bit better.
How Can You Make Face ID Work with Your Eyes Closed?
If you want to unlock your device with Face ID while your eyes are closed, follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings.
- Enter Face ID & Passcode.
- Scroll down to the Attention section.
- Disable the “Require Attention for Face ID” option.
After disabling this option, you will be able to unlock your Apple device without directly looking at the camera. However, there is one security risk. It also allows others to unlock your Apple device by using your Face ID while you are sleeping.
Now, you may wonder why Face ID requires the user’s attention to unlock their Apple device. The answer is simple, to maximize privacy and security. It reduces the possibility of anybody else unlocking a user’s Apple device without their knowledge. It also prevents your iPhone to be unlocked accidentally. Because of this extra layer of security, it is not recommended to disable the “Require Attention for Face ID” option.
That’s about it. Now you can unlock your iPhone wearing a mask.
Does Face ID Work with a Mask?
The short answer is – Yes, Face ID can work with a mask. Because of the pandemic that has been going on for the past couple of years, masks have been an essential part of our daily lives. Wearing masks is crucial to our survival now, and it may make you wonder if Face ID will work when you have a mask on, especially in public.
- You can unlock your Apple device even when wearing a mask. This feature was added in the iOS 15.4 update. Here’s how you can enable this feature.
- Go to Settings.
- Open Face ID & Passcode.
- Scroll down until you see the “Face ID with a Mask” option.
- Turn the option on.
- On the next screen, select “Use Face ID with a Mask.”
- Go through the subsequent scan process without a mask on.
Can You Use A Picture For Face ID?
If you are concerned about your privacy and security, then it is highly likely that you may have thought – “will Face ID work with a picture?”
The short answer is – No, Face ID does not work with a picture. While some smartphones can be unlocked with just a 2D picture of the user, it is not possible with Apple devices. Since Face ID scans and creates a 3D model of the user’s face, it also collects depth information. Therefore, it is able to identify the difference between a picture and a real face.
Can You Unlock Face ID With A Video?
The answer is – No, Face ID does not work with a video. As Face ID creates a three-dimensional model of your face during the scanning process, it is not possible to unlock your iPhone with a two-dimensional video of your face.
Can You Unlock Face ID With Sunglasses?
Usually, Face ID works with glasses. That means you can simply unlock your Apple device while wearing glasses.
However, you can improve the accuracy of Face ID’s recognition technology by scanning your face while wearing a glass. Here’s how you do it.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Face ID & Passcode.
- Scroll down until you find the “Add Glasses” option.
- Tap the option.
- Continue from the next screen and go through the scanning process.
You can add up to four different glasses using this process. Hence it comes in handy if you have multiple glasses with different frames.
Face ID also works with most sunglasses. But as there are many models of sunglasses and more are coming to the market each day, it sometimes does not work.
If your iPhone does not recognize you when you are wearing sunglasses, you can make it work by disabling the “Require Attention for Face ID” option. However, it will not work if you are also wearing a mask.
Does Face ID Learn Over Time?
The short answer is – Yes, Face ID learns and adapts over time through your interaction with it. As your appearance changes, it learns to recognize you better. Also, it updates and refines its data to recognize various facial expressions every time you unlock your phone with the passcode if the Face ID failed to recognize you during unlocking attempts.
Here’s how you can train Face ID to recognize you with non-conventional facial expressions.
- Try to unlock your iPhone using a particular expression, such as squinting your eyes or resting your chin on your hand.
- If Face ID does not recognize you, unlock the phone with your passcode.
- Lock the phone again.
- Now try unlocking your iPhone using the same expression. Face ID should be able to remember the expression and recognize it from now on.
When Does Face ID Not Work?
Face ID is one of the most impressive technologies of Apple, which is designed to recognize you in a range of circumstances while continuously evolving. However, it may not work sometimes because of some particular reasons. They are:
- The Face ID features are not turned on in the settings.
- Something is blocking the TrueDepth camera.
- Your Apple device needs an iOS update.
- The device was locked for more than 48 hours.
- Your device has been locked using the remote-locked command.
- There have been five unsuccessful attempts to use Face ID.
- The power off or Emergency SOS screen is on.
- The phone has not been unlocked with a passcode for six and a half days, and Face ID unlock has not been used in the last four hours.
Face ID may also not work if your phone has water damage. If you want to know how to fix it, then follow the link!