One of the most widely used cameras is the GoPro camera. However, this camera does not come with in-built storage. As a result, you need an SD card to support your shooting experience.
Still, accidentally deleting photos and videos is a common incident among GoPro camera users. You can always support such situations with regular backups on an external device, or the cloud. Formatting a GoPro camera SD card helps you regain more storage and continue shooting without any issues. If you ever lose data in this process, do not hesitate to use Disk Drill for Mac & Windows to recover them.
You probably have a full SD card and are wondering how you can format it safely. In this article, we explore some of the ways to format your GoPro SD card. If you are looking for ways to recover deleted GoPro files on Mac, follow this link. Otherwise, read on to learn more. Below are some of the reasons to format GoPro SD cards.
- Deleting images or videos alone does not empty the card fully
- Formatting clears the card of extraneous issues
- The best option to clear the SD card free of any data
- It removes viruses
- It prepares the card in the way GoPro wants it to be
Format GoPro SD Card on Camera Menus
This would be the first fix to try if you urgently need to format a GoPro SD card and do not have any other option available. You could be deep in the field and the only device you have is your GoPro camera. Follow the steps below to format the card with camera menus.
- Step 1: Turn on the GoPro camera and insert the Sd card. If the card is in the camera already, skip and begin from step 2.
- Step 2: Locate the camera settings menu and choose “Format Card.”
- Step 3: Choose the type of files system to use e.g., FAT32 or exFAT
- Step 4: Confirm the format request and wait until the card is formatted.
- Step 5: Unmount the GoPro SD card from the camera and back to continue with your shootout.
Format GoPro SD Card on Computer
You may not be very familiar with the camera menu and you do not want to make any mistakes. If you have a computer, then it could be one of the easiest and most efficient ways to format the SD card.
- Step 1: plug the SD card to the computer using an adapter. Mount the card to the SD adapter then to the card reader and then connect it to the computer using one of the USB ports on your PC.
- Step 2: Open “My PC” and select the SD card from the list of devices present. Check this under “Devices and drives.”
- Step 3: Right-click on the SD card and select “Format” from the options given. If your card is 32 GB or less, you will need to go with FAT32. If more than this, then use exFAT. Choose Quick Format then hit “Start” to format the card. It should take just a few seconds to complete.
The format process on PC finishes very first and is very efficient. Even with a large-size card, you should be able to have the process completed in a few seconds. Remember, you can also format an SD Card for GoPro on Mac. If you are on Mac, follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Connect the Sd card to your Mac as you did with the Windows PC above.
- Step 2: Open the Disk Utility and select your SD card from the left panel. This should be available under the option “External.”
- Step 3: Choose the format based on the size of your card e.g., Fat for 32 Gb and below. Click on “Erase” to initiate the formatting process.
You will receive a message confirming the completion of the formatting process. Your card should now be formatted and ready to use.
Format GoPro SD Card with GoPro Quik App
The GoPro Quik App is a wonderful way to format and manage your GoPro Sd card. The app is free to use. It also helps you fix GoPro SD Card error seamlessly to improve your user experience any time. Here’s the procedure to follow.
- Step 1: Connect the GoPro camera to PC using USB cable.
- Step 2: Launch the Quick app.
- Step 3: Choose “Preferences” and tap the “Format” button.
- Step 4: Select “SD card” and tap “Format.”
- Step 5: Choose the appropriate file system and click on the “Format” option again.
- Step 6: Tap on the “Confirm” button to begin formatting. Once the formatting is complete, hit “Done” to finish. The card should now be completely formatted and ready for use again.
Format GoPro SD Card on Mobile
You may not be in a position to format your SD card on PC if you do not have one nearby. However, you should be handy with several formatting options so that you do not get stranded at any time. Mobile devices can also help you backup data to speed up the data recovery process in case you ever lose photos or videos erroneously. Follow the below procedure to completely format your GoPro SD card on a mobile device.
- Step 1: Insert the card in your mobile and hit the “Settings” icon.
- Step 2: Choose “Device Care” from the available options then choose “Storage.”
- Step 3: Choose “Advanced” then tap on your card.
- Step 4: Press “Format” followed by “Format SD Card” on the pop-up message. This will initiate the formatting process immediately.
Formatting GoPro SD Cards should be an easy process. Follow this guide anytime you feel the urge to format your card. Be sure to secure your files with backup anytime to avoid unwarranted data loss in the process.